The age bracket of 20-29 can be some of the most exciting years of your life. Imagine, you are old enough not to be considered as a kid anymore, and you are still young enough to have the same wisdom and knowledge that full-fledged adults do. While some people can quite figure out what they want to be in life, most of us use this era to take things into consideration. This is the period where we experiment and decide what career or path will define the rest of our lives. Sure, it puts us under a lot of pressure and stress but these times are also delightful and full of adventure. And though we only get to be in our 20s for nine years, we must not let life’s pressures prevent us from making these years as memorable as possible.
“Remaining resilient helps make sound decisions, think clearly, creatively and maintain the persistence needed to find a career”, according to Lubna Somjee, Ph.D.
That is why while you are still in your 20s, it is essential to learn as much as you can and just enjoy the ride. And on that note, here are the things that all people in their 20s must know. Read on.
- Don’t Think About The Future Yet
– People in their 20s often think that stepping out of the teenager zone means you need to plan already or figure out how you should handle the rest of your lives. That is wrong. Worrying about your future while you are in the 20s will just stop you from seeing and enjoying the things that you have right now. Just focus on what’s in front of you and appreciate everything that is coming your way.
- Stop Comparing Your Success To Others
– We are all different, that’s why comparing the things you have achieved to the things that the people around you have accomplished is a waste of time. Yes, he or she is doing better than you but so what? That’s another person’s life. Worry about yours. Believe that your time will come and that you will experience the same amount of success as them, if not higher. Meanwhile, just be patient and happy for the people that are receiving their blessings because they will be satisfied when you receive yours too. According to clinical psychologist Dr Judith Johnson, “Two ways to boost our self-esteem are to remind ourselves of the values that we hold important, and the things about ourselves that are good.”
- It’s Okay To Make Mistakes
– One of the biggest misconceptions about being in your 20s is that you already have to 100% figure out your life when in fact these years should be spent more on learning, trying new things, finding yourself, and deciding what the next chapter of your life should have to be. The 20s is a trial and error phase, and it’s okay to make mistakes. Don’t beat yourself too much over the things you did wrong because chances are these mistakes will help you grow and be the person you’re meant to be. Neel Burton M.D. suggests, “Remind yourself that, despite your problems, you are a unique, special, and valuable person, and that you deserve to feel good about yourself.”
These are just three of the countless things that all people in their 20s should know. Enjoy what you have now, learn as much as you can, and don’t freak out about the future. Do that, and you should be just fine.