The World Health Organization (WHO) defines mental health as a state of wellness wherein the individual recognizes that his abilities are sufficient to cope with the everyday stresses of life. It’s the potential to become productive and capable of making a positive contribution to the community. Mental wellness is a positive state of overall health and is not only about the absence of mental disorder. It means that a person’s mind is in order and functioning in his best interest. It is the condition where the emotional and psychological factors are well-balanced, performing, and responsive to the environmental aspects.
The Factors Affecting Mental Health
A lot of internal and external factors contribute to the cognitive and emotional well-being. It includes financial issues, relationships with loved ones, work environment, as well as the adaptation to behavioral skills. Mentally well people have a positive outlook in life. They are self-assured and genuinely happy. They are mainly in control of their emotions, thoughts, and behavior, and this enables them to handle life challenges.
Achieve Mental Wellness
- Pay attention to your feelings. You should be able to express your thoughts and ideas. One of the best possible ways to do this is through writing a journal or talking to people. Share your experiences and let other people know how you honestly feel. Know your emotional capabilities and understand the situation you are in. This way, you will be able to achieve mental wellness.
- Learn to be at peace with yourself. Learn and get to know who you are, what you are, and what makes you happy. Acknowledge the things you can do and work on those things that you can’t. Identify your strengths and weaknesses and use them together in every aspect of your life. Always stay away from toxic pressure and remain calm all the time.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Listen to your body and let it enjoy the healthy and nutritious food. Enjoy a balanced meal and consider exercising regularly. Limit or avoid alcohol consumption, as well as the smoking habit if there’s any. Being physically and mentally healthy brings a lot of positivity in life, and that’s the key to mental wellness.
- Build strong relationships. Learn to understand and be sympathetic with other people. Make time for your family and friends and share all life joys and sorrows. Every minute is worth sharing, and this type of investment is immeasurable. It results in a strong foundation of relationship and an enjoyable life.
- Volunteer for a cause. It will help you connect with people and at the same time learn the values of life. Not everyone has the opportunity to be able to give back to the people. Being able to give back brings incredible feelings in return.
The reason why most people find happiness elusive is that they don’t do things that they need to experience mental wellness. But if an individual perceives the right idea and tries to become healthy, he’ll never regret having that decision.